Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Prophet Has No Honor In His Own Country


I originally posted this on Facebook on January 4th, 2009.

I know, I know.. this is back in John chapter 4 and I'm past that already.. but it's been on my mind since reading it and I've been thinking about it.

Jesus has been on his way to Galilee when he came across the Samaritan woman at the well. After she was so taken by his knowing so much about her history/sins she ran back into town nearby and witnessed. In the next two days most of that town came to believe in Christ.

But, at the end of this Jesus in vs 44 is says, "44. For Jesus Himself testified that a prophet has no honor in his own country. 45. So when He came to Galilee, the Galileans received Him, having seen all the things He did in Jerusalem at the feast, for they also had gone to the feast."

------------

So, now my pondering.

Is this why your children will listen to other adults but never their parents? Is this why out-of-town speakers travel to speak on subjects? Is there always a feeling of "This person may know the -secret-?"

Of course, you're not going to think old Uncle Vern has the secrets to life because you know about this or that that he messed up on in life. He very well may be incredibly wise about a subject but life and his choices in the past have discredited him to some degree in your mind.

I don't know where I'm going with this but it's come to my mind about half a dozen times in the last several days and I thought I'd open it up for discussion if anyone has some insight on it. A word of wisdom. A thought? Or even a silly comment if you want.

No comments: