Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Travel Update 1.3 (Destination Achieved)

We have arrived at our temporary home at my small one bedroom apartment in Gilbert, Arizona.  Let me go back to where I left off from the last post and catch you up.

We left Albuquerque, New Mexico and continued on into Indian Reservation territory.  The land was breath taking and almost spiritual in nature.  You could feel the creativity and wonder of God's hand on his creation.  I wanted to take a small nap but it was so beautiful I couldn't lay back and close my eyes for more than a few seconds.

We have many pictures and today I hope to put up several of them (later) so that you can get a good view of what I'm talking about.  Pictures can't capture the wondrous feeling of such a place but I hope to give you just a glimmer of the amazing land there.

Into Arizona and the land flattened out and got rather boring on I-40 between the border and Flagstaff, AZ.  About 3/4 the way to Flagstaff we dropped down on Arizona road 87 that went straight south towards Phoenix.  Flat with small rolling hills at 70 mph made up good time until we hit the mountains.  Then it was slower going with sharp turns and more stunning handiwork of God.  Valley's going down far enough to stack five empire state buildings on end and still now reach up out of them to touch the skies.  We have more pictures of this as well but a camera only gets a little window into what you are seeing.  I felt almost as if I was a bird flying over the world, or a tiny any on the side of a tree looking down over an entire forest.

There were only a couple stressful things.  One was that the winding slow going made a 160 mile road take 5 1/2 hours.  But that was the GPS telling us and it ended up only being 3 1/2 hours.  We didn't know that though, so there was stress that we were going to be even that much longer getting home.  We were worn out and just wanted to be home by then.  The view though was one-in-a-lifetime like views though and it didn't take long to quit caring about exhaustion and just get overwhelmed in the beauty around us.  The second stress item was just the general nature of me driving and my wife in the passenger's seat.  It's like the sun coming up in the morning, you know it's going to happen.  You know my wife is going to hate my driving.  You also know I'm going to get upset with her being upset. (laugh).

That was actually not as bad as it could have been.  I think by the time we're married a few more decades we'll figure out and get along while driving. (fingers crossed).

A stop at a dairy queen for dinner.  Not the best of places for a meal but we didn't care at that point.. then back to the apartment.  Baths and showers for all and then bed.  Kendra is still sleeping, Tanya is trying to set up appointments for a doctors visit this morning for Kendra and we have a bunch of stuff to start doing with banks, change of addresses, balancing accounts, figuring out what money is where and how to get out feet under us here in Arizona financially now.  Just have to organizing where everything is at so we are frugal with our finances and understand the money flow of everything... Oh, I need to call the gas company for the new house to be turned on.. and water.. things like that today.

We got in at around 8:00 pm Monday evening... made very good time.

I want to thank all of your for your prayers and thoughts for our family while we were traveling across the country.

No comments: